Hogwarts Messenger Bag
This bag is perfect for any student attending Hogwarts. This was made by modifying a messenger bag tutorial made by Gloriana, http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?t
|House||Main Color|| Secondary Color |
* 1 yard of outside fabric in main house color.
* 1 yard of lining fabric, I've used a fanatsy and starry fabric for the lining.
* 1 yard fusible interfacing.
* Thread in secondary house color.
* Embroidery thread in secondary house color.
* Embroidery needle and hoop.
Cut out the pieces you will need:
Iron on interfacing to body, gussets, and strap according to interfacing directions. I ironed it on to the outside fabric.
1. Add initials to the flap. Download the lumos font and print out the letters you need. Use an exacto knife to cut them out and use a transfer pencil to outline it on the center of the flap.
Use embroidery thread to outline letters
and then fill in.
2. With right sides together sew the flap outside to the lining. Sew 3 sides leaving the top side open.
3. Turn right side out and press.
4. With secondary color thread sew the same 3 sides of the flap about 1/4" to 1/2" from the edge. This will give it a nice contrast and use both house colors.
1. Fold pocket piece in half lengthwise, with right sides together, and sew 2 sides.
2. Turn right side out.
3. Press raw edges in and pin to lining fabric.
4. On one side sew pocket to lining.
5. On the other side sew pocket on and sew a few smaller pockets for holding your wand and quills.
1. Fold the strap piece in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew long edge.
2. Turn rigth side out and press.
3. Using thread in secondary color sew the edges of the strap the same as you did to the flap, about 1/4" to 1/2" from the edge.
Piecing it together:
(this is where you may like to refer to Gloriana's tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?t
1. Sew the gusset pieces together at the short ends. Pin right sides to 1 piece of the body and sew.
2. Pin to the other side of the body, and sew.
3. Do the same with the lining, except leave a 4" opening at the bottom between one body piece and the bottom gusset.
4. With right sides together pin the flap to the back of the bag.
5. Pin the strap to the sides of the bag.
6. Sew on flap and strap.
7. With right sides together pin the bag outside to the bag lining (I usually place the outside ot the bag inside the lining bag). Stitch the top edge.
8. Using the hole you left open in step 3 turn bag right side out. Sew this hole up.
9. Press bag and top stitch around opening.
10. Add flare and you are ready for a sucessful year at Hogwarts!
Hogwarts Messenger Bag by Nasreen
If you are interested in purchasing a custom made bag please visit my etsy shop for details.